Optica members are the world's leading scientists, educators, engineers, students and business professionals with an interest in optics and photonics.
We invite you to read about some of the Optica's newsmakers below.
Optica corporate member news is available in the Corporate Gateway section of Optica.org.
- Three Questions with Optica Fellow Holger Schmidt
- Optica Fellow Anne L'Huillier receives Berthold Leibinger Laser Award
- Electro Optics interview with Optica Fellow Sujatha Ramanujan: Emerging photonics transforms AR/VR, healthcare, quantum and more
- 'Invisibility' brings greater visibility to optical physicist, Optica Fellow Greg Gbur
- Optica Student Member, Gloria Davidova: AEP senior wins Optica Woman Scholars award, blends physics with rhythmic gymnastics
- Optica Fellow Jay Eastman left mark as entrepreneur, inventor and optics industry leader
- University of Central Florida interview with Optica Fellow Konstantin Vodopyanov: Research in 60 Seconds: Making Molecules Sing to Better Understand Them
- Optica Fellow and Purdue Prof. Andrew M. Weiner wins Optica’s Charles Hard Townes Medal
- Optica Fellows Xiaoyi Bao and Robert Boyd recognized for pioneering work in photonics
- Awards and honors highlight Rochester faculty’s professional accomplishments
- Stony Brook Professor Harold Metcalf Is the Optica 2023 Esther Hoffman Beller Medal Recipient
- Diddams receives prestigious Mees Medal for ground-breaking optics research that transcends boundaries
- Featuring Optica Honorary Member John Mather: Ten strange and amazing historical artifacts we’ve launched to space
- A “Wright brothers moment” for fusion research, says Optica Fellow Michael Campbell
- Optica Fellow Peter Knight awarded President's Medal from Institute of Physics
- Optica Member Wade Cook named Executive Director of American Institute for Manufacturing Integrated Photonics (AIM Photonics)
- Optica Member Mark Lawrence wins $100,000 grant from Optica Foundation
- Optica Women Scholars interviewed by the Women, Optics and Photonics Area of the Spanish Optical Society
- Optica Fellows Naomi Halas and Peter Nordlander receive the Eni Energy Transition Award
- Optica Fellow Irina Larimi receives the Michael E. DeBakey M.D. Award for Excellence in Research
- Physics, Optical Engineering & Engineering Physics Students Honored for Academics, Lab Successes
- Optica Fellow John Mangus: Biography chronicles career of optical engineer
- UCF Student Selected for International Optica Women Scholars Award
- Optica Senior Member Alberto Marino and team receive US$1 million grant to explore quantum synchronization
- Optica Fellow Alexandra Boltasseva receives prestigious Guggenheim Fellowship
- Early Career Member Joel Berkson develops new method for measuring radio antennas
- Optica Student Member, Brown Ph.D. student working to correct skin color bias in pulse oximeters
- Optica Fellow featured: Faces in Photonics: Andrea Armani of the University of Southern California
- Optica Fellow Aydogan Ozcan receives the 2022 Joseph Fraunhofer Award and Robert M. Burley Prize
- Optica Fellow Samuel Achilefu to launch a new Department of Biomedical Engineering (BME) at UT Southwestern Medical Center.
- Optica Fellow Eric Fossum receives Technology & Engineering Emmy Award from the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences.
- Optica Fellow Peter Fritschel receives Richard A. Isaacson Award in Gravitational-Wave Science from the American Physical Society.
- Optica Student Member Ben Bartlett and Optica Fellow Shanhui Fan propose a new design for photonic quantum computers.
- Optica Foundation Chair & 2017 President Eric Mazur discusses the Optica rebrand on the Luminate Accelerator Forward Focus podcast.
- Optica Fellow Herbert Winful receives University of Michigan University Diversity and Social Transformation Professorship.
- OSA Board Member and OSA Fellow Sujatha Ramanujan of Luminate Accelerator is a recipient of the Rochester Business Journal 2020 Women of Excellence Awardee.
- OSA Fellow Claudio Mazzali - On OSA and the Future of Fiber (Podcast).
- OSA Fellow Karl Leo receives the Jan Rajchmann Award from the U.S. Society for Information Display (SID).
- OSA Fellow Alan E. Wilner among 5 faculty members named university professors and distinguished professors at the University of Southern California.
- OSA Fellow and Former OSA chief scientific officer Greg Quarles - Directed Energy: Dual Usage and the Transfer of Technology (Podcast).
- 2019 OSA President and OSA Fellow Ursula Gibson - Novel Core Optical FIbers and Materials (Podcast).
- OSA Senior Member Dirk Englund - Quantum Photonics: Breakthroughts and Limitations (Podcast).
- OSA Fellow Federico Capasso wins Ives Medal and Quinn Prize in optics.
- OSA Fellow Martin Dawson named as the 2021 recipient of the Nick Holonyak Jr Award.
- OSA Fellow Susana Marcos to lead Center for Visual Science at the University of Rochester.
- OSA Fellow Peter Delfyett to be Inducted into the National Academy of Engineering