Max Born Award
Presented to an individual who has made outstanding contributions to physical optics, theoretical or experimental.
View Past Winners.
References: 10 October
The nominator must be a current Optica member.
1. Nominees do not need to be Optica members.
2. Joint nominees are permitted for the same project or for joint work completed over a long period of time.
3. An individual may not receive more than one society award in a year, nor may an individual receive more than one award for the same body of work.
4. Awards are not presented posthumously, except in the case that the recipient's death occurs after the Selection Committee decision has been made.
Important Note: The nominee does not participate in the process. To maintain confidentiality, the necessary facts should be obtained from the nominee only if the complete and correct background information is not available elsewhere. Self-nomination is not permitted. We serve a diverse and inclusive community worldwide. Nominees that reflect and support this diversity across all areas including gender, race, educational/institutional background and geography are especially encouraged.
All nomination materials are submitted online through BEAM. Any documents must be uploaded as PDF files. The following is needed for a nomination:
* This information is all entered directly into BEAM.
Nomination Do's and Don'ts
The Selection Committee reviews and discusses all eligible nominees. After careful consideration, they make a recommendation that is approved by the Awards Council and Board of Directors.
Please note that a minimum of four eligible nominations are required before the Selection Committee may select a recipient. If the minimum is not met, all nominations will be held for consideration the following year.
All nominations are automatically considered for up to three review cycles. After consideration by three Selection Committees, the nomination is retired but may be renominated.
1. Log in to BEAM, our Awards and Honors system, with your Optica credentials.
2. Be sure you are on the "Nominators" tab.
3. Click the "Submit a New Nomination" button and select the appropriate award/medal from the drop-down menu.
4. Enter the name and email address of the nominee.
5. Input the required supporting information and references. Note - references will automatically receive an email with a link to the reference form as soon as you select them as a reference, even if you have not completed/submitted the nomination.
6. Select "Additional Nominees" from the menu if needed.
7. Review and submit the nomination prior to the deadline.
8. After submitting the nomination you will receive a confirmation email.