IONS+, supercharge your Optica conference experience
IONS started in 2008 to allow students the opportunity to build an environment where they could exchange research, hear from professionals in the field, as well as showcase and enjoy the local culture of the host university. Beginning in 2022, IONS will adopt a new model to engage, support, and advance the careers of students worldwide. IONS will now take place at Optica Congresses and partner conferences the day before the meeting.
Leverage the benefits of a technical meeting
Sending students to an IONS+ can be hard for students to sell to an Advisor, as research presented is not archived. By pairing IONS+ with our Congresses and partner meetings, we can solve this concern and help students obtain the funding they require from their universities to travel.
Chairs of the Congresses will play an integral part in the IONS conferences, too. The student committee will be provided access to the Chairs, using their expertise as a resource for building the program. We expect the chairs and other VIP attendees will be willing to serve as speakers during the IONS conference, but additional funding is reserved to invite additional experts as needed.
Tell me about the financials
Optica Foundation will cover 100% of the IONS+ program. This removes the requirement for students to fundraise/solicit additional support for the conference. Funds have been dedicated for programming, catering, and social events for networking. Funding will also be provided to accommodate a one-night hotel stay for the chapter representatives on the day that the IONS+ occurs.
Students will be expected to cover the cost of Congress registration, transportation, lodging (outside of the night of the IONS+), and all other expenses customarily incurred during a trip to a technical meeting. A limited amount of travel grant funding will be available for attendees (typically $200).
Tell me about the program
First and foremost, you don’t need an accepted paper, but you DO need to be registered for the Congress to attend the IONS+. When registering, you will have the option to select your participation in IONS+. Only 50 slots per IONS are available.
The bulk of the program will occur the day before the Congress begins. Areas of emphasis include:
- Introducing students to Congress chairs
- Talks focused on career development
- Networking opportunities
- Opportunities to present your research in front of your peers (and with real-time feedback)
Throughout the Congress, the student committee will have determined a series of additional opportunities to connect, including potential tours of local labs/businesses as well as social events that highlight the culture of the surrounding area.
How hosting an IONS+ works:
Host Chapter Student committee responsibilities
- Coordinate with Optica and Congress chairs
- Assist with marketing
- Designate travel funding where appropriate
- Serve as onsite leads for Optica Ambassadors, chairs, and student attendees
- Determine social events that highlight the culture of the surrounding area
- Orchestrate lab tours at the university and/or tours of local industry
- Serves as mentor to assist where needed
- Provide talks on professional development
- Reserve conference space and a/v
- Market to general membership
- Manage registration
- Build programming
- Provide onsite assistance
- Absorb financial expense of conference
Funding for Chapter Regional events
In addition to the structural changes of IONS, we are increasing the amount of Special Program Grant funds for chapters looking to host similar regional events. Special Program Grants traditionally max out at $1.5K USD. However, chapters that want to host something of magnitude can qualify for funding up to $5K USD. The conference in question must:
- Recognize Optica Foundation as a main sponsor if awarded with a grant
- Be at least three days in length
- Technical presentations from professionals and students
- Professional development sessions
- Industry-focused opportunities
- Diversity and inclusion programming
- Cultural exchange opportunities
- Lab tours
- Tours to showcase the city/culture