Explore the frontier of research in biophotonics.
Application Dates15 Jun 2023 - 23 Aug 2023
One year fellowship at the Massachusetts General Hospital Wellman Center for PhotomedicineDonate Now
This one-year multidisciplinary fellowship specifically fosters interactions between researchers from diverse fields of science and medicine and supports post-doctoral investigators pursuing training in either basic or clinical research. It is offered in partnership with the Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) Wellman Center for Photomedicine.
Applications will be available at apply.optica.org
Opens 15 June 2023
Closes 23 August 2023
- Select one or more positions available for the fellowship: 2023 Position Descriptions
- Hold a Ph.D., M.D. or M.D./Ph.D. degree
- Be at the postdoctoral training level at the time of the award and within 5 years of completion of your degree, excluding breaks in a career timeline (e.g., eldercare, maternity or paternity leave)
- Basic contact and education information
- Personal statement describing academic/professional background and interest in the fellowship – no more than 500 characters.
- A 3- to 5-page research proposal in a field of biomedical optics, including specific aims, significance, innovation and approach.
- The applicant is encouraged to develop the project after contacting and consulting with one or more prospective PIs at Wellman Center
- A collaborative project involving more than one Wellman PI is particularly encouraged
- A brief list of Wellman PIs and their research summaries is located in the application
- At least one and no more than two published technical papers or similar with personal contributions within the past 24 months in PDF format.
- Two letters of reference
- Non-US individuals are encouraged to apply
- Massachusetts General Hospital is an equal opportunity employer; women and minority applicants are encouraged to apply
- Fellows will receive a nontransferable, primary appointment at the MGH Wellman Center for Photomedicine
- If a fellow already has, or subsequently receives, other fellowship funding, he/she is eligible for the Deutsch funds only if the projects are different scientifically, permitted by the other sponsor and only to the extent that the combined stipend does not exceed the fellow’s institutional base stipend
- The program is intended for one year, with the opportunity for a no-cost extension if conditions allow
- Any remaining funds at the end of the fellowship period, or extension, will be forfeited
Bhaskara Rao Chintada
Harvard Medical School, USA
Fernanda Viana Cabral
University of São Paulo, Brazil
Wellman Center for Photomedicine, USA
Technical University of Munich, Germany
Harvard University, USA
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, USA
This fellowship is endowed through donations from the Deutsch family, contributors from the optics and photonics community and a generous contribution from IPG Photonics.
2023 Selection Committee
|Mikhail Y Berezin
|Wyss Center for Bio and Neuro Engineer
|University of Maryland at College Park
|Consejo Sup Investigaciones Cientificas
|Nicolaus Copernicus University
|Phaneendra K Yalavarthy
|Indian Institute of Science