As emerging leaders in the optics and photonics community, Ambassadors will provide career advice, technical knowledge and mentorship with students and early career professionals in the field by supporting professional development events at meetings and engaging with their communities.
All program participants receive a lifetime Ambassador distinction visible in the member directory for their continuing efforts to serve the greater optics and photonics community.
Once selected, an ambassador begins a year of service (April - March). The following benefits are available during this period:
- Full registration and accomodations for Level Up (23-26 March 2023) and FiO/LS Annual Meeting.
- A stipend to spend on Ambassador-organized initiatives.
- Registration to one Optica-managed meeting of Ambassador's choice.
- Additional support upon request to support professional development-focused events.
- Recognition in Optica publications.
How to Apply
Applications will be available at apply.optica.org.
Be a current early career or an individual member who has received a terminal degree within the last five - seven years or will receive a terminal degree by the application deadline.
Program requirements recognize and exclude career breaks from career timelines (e.g., eldercare, maternity or paternity leave).
- List of questions such as:
- Describe any volunteer experience within the Society
- Describe any volunteer experience with other societies outside of the Society
- How has the Society influenced your career?
- Why do you want to serve as an Ambassador?
- What do you hope to accomplish your first year?
- CV/ resume
- Two references
Connect with this year's ambassadors for advice, networking or even just to say hello.
Meet the 2023 class >
The ambassador program is funded through the Optica Foundation Annual Fund.
Ambassadors are selected by the previous classes.