Global Meeting Grants
Optica supports the global optics community through a variety of programs. This includes considering requests for meeting grants/sponsorships. Grants are usually modest (under USD 5,000) and are not intended to fully underwrite a meeting. Priority is given to meetings held in developing or underrepresented countries or focused on emerging topics of interest to the Optica community. View a list of recently support events. If you have questions please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What will Optica fund?
Support from Optica is restricted to student prizes or grants to encourage student, invited speaker and/or attendee participation. Optica funds are not available for publications, catering, facility rental or other operational expenses.
Can individuals apply directly for support to attend a meeting/conference?
No, this program provides sponsorship funds/grants directly to meeting organizers, not to individuals. If you are seeking personal travel support for a meeting/conference, please contact the meeting organizers directly.
When are requests due?
Requests are considered three times each year for meetings taking place during a specific time frame.
Please note that if you submit your application early, it will be held until the appropriate review cycle.
- Deadline: 15 October 2021
Meetings taking place between January and April 2022
- Deadline: 15 February 2022
Meetings taking place between May and August 2022
- Deadline: 15 May 2022
Meetings taking place between September and October 2022
- Deadline 15 August 2022
Meetings taking place between November and December 2022
- Deadline 15 October 2022
Meetings taking place between January and April 2023
What information is required?
The following information should be submitted to email@example.com:
- Meeting name
- Primary contact name
- Primary contact affiliation
- Primary contact email
- Chairperson name (if different from above)
- Chairperson affiliation
- Chairperson email
- A short description of meeting scope, purpose, topics and target audience
- Estimated total attendance
- Estimated student attendance
- Expected number of presentations (contributed, invited, plenary, tutorial, poster, etc)
- Current program committee, with affiliations
- Invited speakers with affiliations (please note which are confirmed)
- Whether this meeting is one in a series of conferences
- The number of attendees at the previous meeting
- When did it take place and where
- How often the meeting takes place
- Amount requested
- How the funds will be used
- How will Optica be recognized as a sponsor
- List of any other co-sponsoring or cooperating organizers, including the type and amount of support they are providing