Volunteer Relations Specialist
Optica is looking for a Volunteer Relations Specialist.
The Volunteer Relations Specialist reports to the Senior Director of Governance and Special Programs. The Specialist is a member of the Executive Office Department which specializes in providing high-quality customer service to internal and external customers of the Society. The primary focus of the position is to provide administrative and programmatic support for Optica’s governance activities and its volunteer relations program. The position requires strong project management skills and the ability to work with volunteers in an effective and professional manner. The Specialist should have experience implementing all aspects of the volunteer management cycle: assessment, recruitment, orientation/training, recognition and retention.
- Provide support to councils/committee volunteers and staff liaisons on effective meetings management (tracking of action items, organize orientation/training, and resources);
- Manage the prospective volunteer dashboard and track usage and placement of volunteers;
- Manage logistics and promotion of Optica elections;
- Coordinate volunteer recognition activities to include gifts, rewards program, correspondence, OPN, social media, acknowledge volunteer special honors/awards and family and health;
- Develop and implement annual cycle of activities to support volunteer recruitment for the Society - engagement activities, appointment process, tracking of open positions/terms, statistics;
- Maintain database(s) and portal (Netforum/Govenda) to ensure data quality; perform maintenance to records as needed. Assist liaisons with committee and volunteer records;
- Assess queries/reports from Netforum to track high hour volunteers, term dates, value of volunteer service; Work with IT to generate queries and reports as needed and conduct analysis of data;
- Handle the administration of governance calendars, e-books, archives, badges, rosters, expense reports, etc. as needed.
- Maintain leadership and volunteer portions of the website to include fresh content, annual updates, broken links, etc.
- Assist with planning and execution of annual Leadership Conference and governance meetings throughout the year.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Five years of volunteer management or related experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge of project management.
- Experience with associations/scientific societies preferred
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent oral and written communication skills are required.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail, with the ability to manage multiple priorities and deadlines simultaneously.
- Customer service orientation, positive attitude and excellent telephone/zoom etiquette
- Learns and adapts quickly to new directives, programs and opportunities
- Proficiency in the Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint).
- Experience with Netforum preferred
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated effectiveness working in a team environment
- Ability to work as part of a team and independently to complete tasks
Located in the Dupont Circle neighborhood of Washington, DC, Optica offers a competitive salary and benefits. Please send your resume and cover letter with salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Optica is an equal employment opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, age, sex, national origin, disability, religion, maritial status, veteran's status, personal appearance, politicial affiliation, sexual orientation, family responsibilities, matriculation, or any other basis prohibited by law.Apply Now